Skip to main content

Paint Chips to Wall Art

I'm really excited about this $1.00 wall art.  I think it looks really cute in Baby Z's nursery.

On a lunch outing with coworkers, we stopped at Lowe's for a dremel tool. Yes, we went to Lowe's for lunch.  There are a lot of creative minds in our group.  We have to be to do our job.  Any who, I was still excited about finding out we were having another little boy.  So, I took a stroll down paint lane.  I was so overwhelmed with all the beautiful colors that I took a huge sampling of paint chips.  Hubby and I sat down about 3 weeks later and picked colors for him to paint.  

I thought it would be a waste to throw all of those paint chips away.  I figured I could do something creative with them later.  Months later we found the perfect fabric for the bedding and window treatments  (see I'm Sewing for fabric information).  With the travel theme chosen, I knew the perfect quote for his room.  I was going to do vinyl but then I thought about the paint chips and thought it would be perfect.

$1 Wall Art
Here's what I used:
  • Paint Chips (free - Lowe's)
  • Letter Stencils (free - created with PowerPoint)
  • Frame (free - already owned)
  • Paint (free - already owned)
  • Cardboard (2/$1 - Dollar Tree)
  • Scissors (free - already owned)
  • Hot Glue (free - already owned)
Here's what I did:
  1. Removed glass from frame and painted the frame. Set aside to dry (may take more than one coat).
  2. Traced the stencils onto the paint chips and cut them out.
  3. Taped two pieces of card board together and trimmed to fit frame.
  4. Glued letters to card board.
  5. Secured cardboard in frame.
  6. Hung wall art.
Notice, I didn't say that I replaced the glass.  That was my intention but I broke it. :(

Even without the glass, I think it turned out really cute.  I have gotten quite a few comments on it from Baby Z's visitors.

What have you done with paint chips?  Share your paint chip projects.


Post a Comment

What's Hot Here?

Congratulations Are In Order, Part 1: DIY Wedding Gift

This past weekend my big little guy was in a wedding. I love weddings so I was very excited. The four of us (and all the bags) piled in the Tahoe for the road trip. It was quite the adventure, but it was worth every minute.

Back to what you came here for the DIY project.

One night while searching Pinterest, I found this really cool print:
I thought it would be a great gift for a couple.  I even thought it would be for my bedroom (I'm seriously considering making one for us).  So, when I was thinking of the perfect gift for this wedding, my mind immediately went back to this idea.

I thought about how I could make this idea my own.  I came up with this: I took this before I decided to add the year they were married to the center top.

Here's what I used:Frame & Mat:  I was prepared to make my own mat, but I found a frame that included the perfect mat  for 3 5" by 7" prints at Ross.Map: You can buy an atlas or map.  OR You can do like me.  I used Google maps t…

Sew with Me: White Out

Hey Loves! It's been a minute! I've missed you guys!  I wanted to share a recent design with you guys.  The client asked for a simple, cute,  fun dress.  I showed her a few patterns and she chose two we should combine. Then, we journeyed to one of my favorite spots, Hancock Fabrics, to search for fabric. We were all white but spotted this border fabric and couldn't leave it.   It didn't hurt that it was 75% off.  I left there wroth matching orders to make something great. While studying the patterns, I thought about my client.  She's shapely and always well supported with a good foundation. Her dress should have a good foundation especially since it's a halter.   I remembered Simplicity 3823 incorporated boning in the bodice.  It was the same style, and with some small modifications, it would be great.   Well after a few hours, a broken needles, and uncooperative machine, it was all done.   I think it turned out great.   She looks amazing wearing it!   Don&…

Mobile: Going Places

Hi! I'm squeezing in posts between feedings and naps. School is about to start and I'm about to go back to work so 1 post a week will be all I can share. I'm going share one of the first projects I did for Baby Z's room - a mobile. While searching for nursery ideas, I found the inspiration picture below.  I loved the colors and simplicity.  The mobile really caught my eye and pinned it.  When I decided on a theme, I added a personal touch tot he mobile.  I think it is really cute.


Here's what you need:
Card Stock2 Embroidery Hoops (I used 9" & 7".)ScissorsHot Glue Gun & SticksAcrylic PaintYarn (Fishing line can also be used.)Jump RingsNeedleComputer & Printer Here are the steps:
Paint the embroidery hoops with your paint acrylic paint.  Set them aside to dry. It may take multiple coats. Create a template for each shape you will use in the mobile.  I found coloring sheets online that matched the theme. I compiled them in PowerPoint. I also create…