Skip to main content

Hello March!

Hey Loves!

It's March!  What happened to February?

You know what I love about March?!  Spring is near.  After fashion week is all said and done, I like to check out the trends.  I tend to sew whatever I'm feeling but it's nice to know what the trends are for the season and try to add a little of that into my wardrobe. 

I like the HarpersBazaar and WhoWhatWear trend reports. HapersBazaar is my favorite because they show you the runway style, some options to buy, and some street style.  Here's my top 5 from the two reports.

  1. Hot Pants/Short Shorts
    Both HarpersBazaar and WhoWhatWear had short shorts on their lists. Yes, I'm a little old for crop tops and short shorts.  BUT, I'm not too old for short shorts and a cute duster or maxi shirt dress. Do you see the vision?
    Pattern Suggestions:
    Linen Loungers by Patterns for Pirates | M7961 by McCall's Patterns | K3614 by KwikSew
  2. Bermuda Shorts
    Both HarpersBazaar and WhoWhatWear had Bermuda shorts on the lists. I'm excited to see them added to the business casual list.  I may try to slip those in my work wardrobe this year, if we ever get released back to business as usual.  Thanks COVID-19!
    Pattern Suggestions:
    V1662 by Vogue Patterns | B6669 by Butterick | B6283 by Burda Style
  3. Bra Top
    This one is in both reports as well.  I wouldn't go so far as to wear a triangle bra top but some of the cute lingerie-inspired crop tops would be cute. I don't have a flat stomach anymore but I can surely pair it with something with a high waist. That sounds date night or girls night ready.
    Pattern Suggestions:
    THE APRICOT ENSEMBLE by MoodSewciety | S8549 by Simplicity Patterns | S1426 by Simplicity Patterns
  4. Prints
    It didn't take much to sell me on this one! I LOVE cute prints.  Both reports referred to 60s inspired prints but I'm just in love with prints. Who else is excited about prints?
    Fabric Suggestions:
    Folk Floral Double Brushed Jersey Knit by FabricMart Fabrics | Floral Poplin Shirting by FabricMart Fabrics | Floral Stretch Jacquard by Mood Fabrics
  5. Scarf Top/Dress
    This really isn't a new trend but I'm glad to see it on the list.  The style is comfy, classic, and sexy.  I'm all for that. Fabric Suggestions: S8909 by Simplicity Patterns | 6655 by Burda Style | M7405 by McCall's Patterns
Here are a few ideas from these trends.

Bermuda Shorts

Bold Print Duster, Bra Top, and High Waist Short Shorts

Bold Print Scarf Dress
Do you have a favorite trend from Spring 2020?  If so, do you have plans to sew anything inspired by it?

Until next time, Smooches!
DJ

Comments

What's Hot Here?

Let's Mix It Up

Hey Loves! It's been a while! A long time! Life has been so busy. I always enjoy the challenge of making myself something a little different for an event. As I made plans to attend the UNCF Birmingham Mayor's Masked Ball, I decided I'd make my dress. It's a combination of a new pattern and a tried and true pattern. I think it turned out well.  I visited JoAnna's for a little inspiration because I didn't have time to wait for items to ship and Simplicity patterns were $0.99. I saw Mimi G's Simplicity 9370. The cut out spoke to me. I decided that the right fabric could make it dressy enough for the event. I found this beautiful fabric in the athletic section in JoAnn. I walked past it 3 times and kept coming back, so I bought it. It was also 20% off.  I made a muslin of S9370 and decided I didn't like the neckline for a formal. So, with very limited time (3 days before the event), I decided to try to incorporate the cut

Queening

Hey Loves! I'm super excited about this post!  Over the years that I've sewn there have been two young ladies that always tapped into my creativity with really fun formal designs.  This young lady has chosen beautiful fabrics for her formals. Here are two designs I've created for her: She's gorgeous! Her fabric choices are beautiful! I'm always excited to talk to her and her mom about her ideas. Although I really wasn't sewing this year, when her mom contacted me, I said yes. Of course I did! They are family! I was super excited about the inspiration. Look at this video. It'll inspire you too. Then, they brought the fabric and my heart smiled! 😍 The bodice of the coat is an adaptation of New Look 6481. I cut the front of view D at the waist. I extended and curved the back edge.  The bottom of the jacket is a full circle skirt. I used the skirt pattern in the Iris Ensemble from Mood Fabrics . I added a few inc

Hello Old Friends

 Hey Loves, It's been a long, long time...A WHOLE YEAR!  Thank God I haven't been sick. When COVID showed its ugly head in our home, it was only mild.  COVID 19 caused me to slow rtr down. I began to focus on what's important...my health and my family. I learned to cook a little. I've spent lots of quality time with 6my folks. I've lost almost 40 lbs!  Yes, despite missing out on a few traditional activities, 2020 was good to me. What I didn't do much of was sew! Well, I didn't sew much for myself.  I sewed lots of masks in the early months.  In September, I really felt the need to sew some winter running gear. I started working on M7026, BUT then it sat in the UFO pile for a few months.  I eventually bought a bunch of winter running gear so it was as big of a need as it was in September.  Then, March came and I decided to go ahead and finish it. I'm so glad I did. This jacket is one of my favorite makes.  It's one I'll wear quite a bit.