I've been out looking for a robe and gown for my hospital bag. I found a few I liked but the price didn't fit into my gown & robe budget. So, I decided to jump out there and make one for myself.
I found a tutorial that seemed pretty easy on ToBeContinued: Ladies Kimono Robe- A Tutorial!.
Thursday, hubby and I stopped by Hancock Fabric to get more fabric for slipcovers for the glider (post coming soon). I found a value fabric for $4.95/yard that we both thought was pretty cute. I bought 3 yards instead of 2.5 yards like the tutorial suggested. I was nervous I would mess something up.
I did not follow all the steps of the tutorial but I used it for a guide.
Here's how I made my robe:
- Cut the fabric a length of 74".
- Fold the fabric in half length wise. Then, pin the edges.
- Find the center (the fold from the fabric being on bolt may still be there). Fold the fabric in half again.
- Measure 11" from the folded edge. Then, measure 16" from the center. Using a washable marker, mark the measurements then make an upside down L by connecting the markings.
- With the fabric still folded, cut out the upside down L.
- Unfold the fabric. Measure 3" from the center on both side and mark from the folded edge to the bottom of the fabric. Cut out the the rectangle with a curved edge on the fold.
- Hem (1/4") the edges of the sleeves (reverse stitch at the edges).
- With right sides together, pin the bottom of both sleeves and down both sides. Then, sew them using a 1/2" seam (reverse stitch at the edges).
- Hem (1/4") the bottom edge.
- Hem the inner edges and neckline (1/4").
- Cut the scrap piece from the center cut out in half.
- With like sides together, sew the edges together. Then, sew a 1/4" hem in the edges of the long piece.
- Fold the long piece in half with like sides together. Sew the raw edge together.
- Pull the fabric to the right side. Sew the open edges together (reverse stitch).
- Iron both pieces.
Check out my finished product. I took this picture before I ironed. Not bad for my first attempt at sewing an article of clothing.