Skip to main content

Nite Out with McCall's

Cardigan: Made by Me - Pants - Made by Me - Tank: Wal-Mart - Shoes - Shoe Dazzle, Kelley

Hey Loves!

I'm really excited to share this outfit with you guys!  Why you may ask. Well because it wasn't last minute.  I had lots of time to think about how to personalize this set.  I'm really last minute with my selfish makes.  I tend to make my stuff the same day of an event or the day before.  It causes me all kinds of stress while I'm sewing.  Then, all kinds of happiness once I'm done. 

This project was well planned out and I didn't feel any of the stress and had time to make some creative decisions that I love.  I took a week to make this project.  Yes, I needed a week.  I have a full time job, a hubby, and 3 boys that need my attention.  After all were sleep, I executed my plan.  Every night, I added to this project.  For example, one night was fabric prep and cutting; another was jacket front and back construction.  On the bodice construction night, I decided to use the left over fabric from the pants to line the front of the jacket and omit the snaps so I could show it off.  I'm really glad I did that.  It turned out really well.  While constructing the pants, I realized the waist was WAAAAAYYYY to big. I decided to add pleats on both sides of the front over the pockets.  I love the pleats.  I likely wouldn't have made those decisions in a crunch.  If you want to know my thoughts on the patterns, check out my reviews : cardigan and pants.

I think I like this planning thing.  Honestly, I don't know how I made it without it.  I have a little planner nothing fancy.  It may actually be from Dollar Tree but it's really been a life saver for me.  My life is in that thing.  So, if life seems a little hectic, take charge.  OWN IT!  It's your destiny don't let it slip away because you're not prepared for it.

Until next time, smooches!

DJ
Post a Comment

What's Hot Here?

Congratulations Are In Order, Part 1: DIY Wedding Gift

This past weekend my big little guy was in a wedding. I love weddings so I was very excited. The four of us (and all the bags) piled in the Tahoe for the road trip. It was quite the adventure, but it was worth every minute.

Back to what you came here for the DIY project.

One night while searching Pinterest, I found this really cool print:
I thought it would be a great gift for a couple.  I even thought it would be for my bedroom (I'm seriously considering making one for us).  So, when I was thinking of the perfect gift for this wedding, my mind immediately went back to this idea.

I thought about how I could make this idea my own.  I came up with this: I took this before I decided to add the year they were married to the center top.

Here's what I used:Frame & Mat:  I was prepared to make my own mat, but I found a frame that included the perfect mat  for 3 5" by 7" prints at Ross.Map: You can buy an atlas or map.  OR You can do like me.  I used Google maps t…

Sew with Me: White Out

Hey Loves! It's been a minute! I've missed you guys!  I wanted to share a recent design with you guys.  The client asked for a simple, cute,  fun dress.  I showed her a few patterns and she chose two we should combine. Then, we journeyed to one of my favorite spots, Hancock Fabrics, to search for fabric. We were all white but spotted this border fabric and couldn't leave it.   It didn't hurt that it was 75% off.  I left there wroth matching orders to make something great. While studying the patterns, I thought about my client.  She's shapely and always well supported with a good foundation. Her dress should have a good foundation especially since it's a halter.   I remembered Simplicity 3823 incorporated boning in the bodice.  It was the same style, and with some small modifications, it would be great.   Well after a few hours, a broken needles, and uncooperative machine, it was all done.   I think it turned out great.   She looks amazing wearing it!   Don&…

Mobile: Going Places

Hi! I'm squeezing in posts between feedings and naps. School is about to start and I'm about to go back to work so 1 post a week will be all I can share. I'm going share one of the first projects I did for Baby Z's room - a mobile. While searching for nursery ideas, I found the inspiration picture below.  I loved the colors and simplicity.  The mobile really caught my eye and pinned it.  When I decided on a theme, I added a personal touch tot he mobile.  I think it is really cute.


Here's what you need:
Card Stock2 Embroidery Hoops (I used 9" & 7".)ScissorsHot Glue Gun & SticksAcrylic PaintYarn (Fishing line can also be used.)Jump RingsNeedleComputer & Printer Here are the steps:
Paint the embroidery hoops with your paint acrylic paint.  Set them aside to dry. It may take multiple coats. Create a template for each shape you will use in the mobile.  I found coloring sheets online that matched the theme. I compiled them in PowerPoint. I also create…