Skip to main content

Too the Max: Maxi Dress with a Twist

Hi loves!

I have challenged my self to make something for me every weekend.  I've had this thin stretch knit fabric for a while. I love the print but have had some trouble finding something to make with it.

I saw a picture in a Facebook group of a maxi with the back out.  I thought that's perfect.

So I got to work and an hour later I had this:
   

Here's how it all came together:
  1. Fold the fabric in half length wise.
  2. Folded one of my dresses in 1/2.
  3. Traced the dress matching the folds (added 1/4" for inseam).
  4. Cut out of the fabric.
  5. With right sides facing, sewed the shoulders and sides together.
  6. Folded unfinished garment in half.  From bottom to the desired height on one layer of fabric to create the back slit.  I eye balled the length, but you can measure or try it own and mark with chalk to get the right height for the slit.
  7. Still folded, altered the neckline.  
  8. Hem the neckline, armholes and hem.
That quick it's all done.  

This is an easy project that leaves a lasting impression.

What do you think?

PS. This item is now available on at Chelsea's Chest, my online boutique.


Smooches,


Post a Comment

What's Hot Here?

Congratulations Are In Order, Part 1: DIY Wedding Gift

This past weekend my big little guy was in a wedding. I love weddings so I was very excited. The four of us (and all the bags) piled in the Tahoe for the road trip. It was quite the adventure, but it was worth every minute.

Back to what you came here for the DIY project.

One night while searching Pinterest, I found this really cool print:
I thought it would be a great gift for a couple.  I even thought it would be for my bedroom (I'm seriously considering making one for us).  So, when I was thinking of the perfect gift for this wedding, my mind immediately went back to this idea.

I thought about how I could make this idea my own.  I came up with this: I took this before I decided to add the year they were married to the center top.

Here's what I used: Frame & Mat:  I was prepared to make my own mat, but I found a frame that included the perfect mat  for 3 5" by 7" prints at Ross.Map: You can buy an atlas or map.  OR You can do like me.  I used Google maps t…

Cheers to the New Year

Hey Loves!

I'm so happy to be here to say good riddance to 2016!  I am sooo happy to see 2016 gone.
I don't know about you but 2016 has been quite the year.  I've learned a lot of lessons: Even your best plans can fail.Your victory can be a complete failure to someone else.In my weakness, I am strongest.Don't get distracted from your goals.In every failure, there is a victory. The last half of 2016 has been so rough, but it's over and I'm better because of it. Don't get me wrong. There were victories in 2016, but I'm not gonna look back on them. I'm going to focus on my plans for 2017. I'm happy and optimistic about what 2017 has in store.  
So much so that I was determined to start the year wearing something made by me for me.
The top is very comfy and versatile.  I'll definitely be making more.  I'd love one in a heavier weight knit with a little move structure. 
I started 2017 my way.  You should too!

For info on this project, check out…

Sew with Me: White Out

Hey Loves! It's been a minute! I've missed you guys!  I wanted to share a recent design with you guys.  The client asked for a simple, cute,  fun dress.  I showed her a few patterns and she chose two we should combine. Then, we journeyed to one of my favorite spots, Hancock Fabrics, to search for fabric. We were all white but spotted this border fabric and couldn't leave it.   It didn't hurt that it was 75% off.  I left there wroth matching orders to make something great. While studying the patterns, I thought about my client.  She's shapely and always well supported with a good foundation. Her dress should have a good foundation especially since it's a halter.   I remembered Simplicity 3823 incorporated boning in the bodice.  It was the same style, and with some small modifications, it would be great.   Well after a few hours, a broken needles, and uncooperative machine, it was all done.   I think it turned out great.   She looks amazing wearing it!   Don&…