Skip to main content

A Weekend's Work: Peplum (McCall's M6754) and 2 Skirts

Hi loves!

This past weekend I was busy, busy, busy working on a few items.  I promised my best friend a maxi and I promised myself I would make something for ME.

I haven't make myself anything in weeks.  I really felt I needed something for me.  So, I stayed up late (best time to sew) to put together a little something for me.  I have had this really cute 2 way stretch woven fabric for a while.  I decided to make something with it, but I didn't know what.  Then I saw a cute coralish knit fabric peeking out at me.  It blended well with the colors in the woven stretch.  Then, the peplum pattern jumped out of the stash at me.  An outfit was born!

I learned the sizing lesson from my last bout with M6754 so I cut the pattern a size smaller than my measurements require.  I doubled the fabric of the bodice because it was thin.  The peplum turned out pretty cute.  It's not perfect but it's cute. My skirt was just a simple straight skirt with an elastic waist.  I love the fit and length - perfect for me!



I made my bestie a maxi.  We tall girls have a hard time finding maxis that are the right length.  It's my go to item and super easy to make.  Here's how I did it:


  1. Found a skirt that fits well. Folded it in half length wise.
  2. Prepped the fabric.  Folded the fabric in half twice.  (Make sure the stretch is going the width of the fabric not the length.)
  3. Laid fold of the skirt on the fold of the fabric. Use weights or pins to hold the fabric in place.  Cut the fabric around the sidesthe skirt leaving space for the seam allowance.  
  4. At the end of the skirt, curved the cut out towards the edge of the fabric.  This will create a mermaid effect.  If the mermaid effect is not desired, cut straight down.
  5. Hemmed the fabric and created a casing for the elastic waist.
Voila it's all done!





Until next time, smooches!

Post a Comment

What's Hot Here?

Congratulations Are In Order, Part 1: DIY Wedding Gift

This past weekend my big little guy was in a wedding. I love weddings so I was very excited. The four of us (and all the bags) piled in the Tahoe for the road trip. It was quite the adventure, but it was worth every minute.

Back to what you came here for the DIY project.

One night while searching Pinterest, I found this really cool print:
I thought it would be a great gift for a couple.  I even thought it would be for my bedroom (I'm seriously considering making one for us).  So, when I was thinking of the perfect gift for this wedding, my mind immediately went back to this idea.

I thought about how I could make this idea my own.  I came up with this: I took this before I decided to add the year they were married to the center top.

Here's what I used:Frame & Mat:  I was prepared to make my own mat, but I found a frame that included the perfect mat  for 3 5" by 7" prints at Ross.Map: You can buy an atlas or map.  OR You can do like me.  I used Google maps t…

Sew with Me: White Out

Hey Loves! It's been a minute! I've missed you guys!  I wanted to share a recent design with you guys.  The client asked for a simple, cute,  fun dress.  I showed her a few patterns and she chose two we should combine. Then, we journeyed to one of my favorite spots, Hancock Fabrics, to search for fabric. We were all white but spotted this border fabric and couldn't leave it.   It didn't hurt that it was 75% off.  I left there wroth matching orders to make something great. While studying the patterns, I thought about my client.  She's shapely and always well supported with a good foundation. Her dress should have a good foundation especially since it's a halter.   I remembered Simplicity 3823 incorporated boning in the bodice.  It was the same style, and with some small modifications, it would be great.   Well after a few hours, a broken needles, and uncooperative machine, it was all done.   I think it turned out great.   She looks amazing wearing it!   Don&…

Mobile: Going Places

Hi! I'm squeezing in posts between feedings and naps. School is about to start and I'm about to go back to work so 1 post a week will be all I can share. I'm going share one of the first projects I did for Baby Z's room - a mobile. While searching for nursery ideas, I found the inspiration picture below.  I loved the colors and simplicity.  The mobile really caught my eye and pinned it.  When I decided on a theme, I added a personal touch tot he mobile.  I think it is really cute.


Here's what you need:
Card Stock2 Embroidery Hoops (I used 9" & 7".)ScissorsHot Glue Gun & SticksAcrylic PaintYarn (Fishing line can also be used.)Jump RingsNeedleComputer & Printer Here are the steps:
Paint the embroidery hoops with your paint acrylic paint.  Set them aside to dry. It may take multiple coats. Create a template for each shape you will use in the mobile.  I found coloring sheets online that matched the theme. I compiled them in PowerPoint. I also create…