Skip to main content

Congratulations Are In Order, Part 2: DIY Wedding Gift

So, in Congratulations Are In Order, Part 1: DIY Wedding Gift, I told you all about the gift I made for a dear friend's wedding. But, I didn't mentioned the cool card I made as well.

I got the idea from Jessi at Practically Functional.  She has an awesome tutorial on making a wedding greeting card.  Thanks Jessi.


I didn't have time to go to the store to pick up a card so I made my own.  I made a few modifications from Jessi's card but it's the same basic concept.


What I used:
  • 3 pieces of cardstock (brown, tan, and off white) 
  • Decorated cardstock (from an invite to another event) 
  • Glue (glue stick and hot glue)
  • Scissors
  • Template from Practically Functional
  • Pearl Glass Beads
What I did:
  1. Turned my brown cardstock landscape. Then folded each side in 3.5".
    The card is 4" wide by 8.5" tall.
  2. Printed Jessi's template. Cut it out.  Then, traced it onto my cardstock.
  3. Cut out my cardstock pieces and assembled them according to the tutorial.
    I used the decorated cardstock for the dress.
    I used the tan for the tux collar, buttons, and tie.
    I used the off white for the tux shirt. 
  4. Glued the assembled tux and the dress on the right side of the card.
  5. Printed a  greeting for the inside of the card measuring 3" wide by 7.5" tall.
  6. Cute out the greeting and glued in to the inside of the card.
  7. Hot glued 3 pearl glass beads to the waist of the dress. 
  8. Placed a heavy book on the card to hold the pieces in place while it dried.

It took about 20 minutes to complete and cost me $0. It would have taken more than 20 minutes to drive to Wal-Mart, browse the car aisle to find the perfect card, stand in those awesome lines to pay for it, and drive back home.

Here is the finished product:

DIY Card in about 20 min


 Have you made any cards lately? Share a link to your latest card idea.
Post a Comment

What's Hot Here?

Congratulations Are In Order, Part 1: DIY Wedding Gift

This past weekend my big little guy was in a wedding. I love weddings so I was very excited. The four of us (and all the bags) piled in the Tahoe for the road trip. It was quite the adventure, but it was worth every minute.

Back to what you came here for the DIY project.

One night while searching Pinterest, I found this really cool print:
I thought it would be a great gift for a couple.  I even thought it would be for my bedroom (I'm seriously considering making one for us).  So, when I was thinking of the perfect gift for this wedding, my mind immediately went back to this idea.

I thought about how I could make this idea my own.  I came up with this: I took this before I decided to add the year they were married to the center top.

Here's what I used:Frame & Mat:  I was prepared to make my own mat, but I found a frame that included the perfect mat  for 3 5" by 7" prints at Ross.Map: You can buy an atlas or map.  OR You can do like me.  I used Google maps t…

Sew with Me: White Out

Hey Loves! It's been a minute! I've missed you guys!  I wanted to share a recent design with you guys.  The client asked for a simple, cute,  fun dress.  I showed her a few patterns and she chose two we should combine. Then, we journeyed to one of my favorite spots, Hancock Fabrics, to search for fabric. We were all white but spotted this border fabric and couldn't leave it.   It didn't hurt that it was 75% off.  I left there wroth matching orders to make something great. While studying the patterns, I thought about my client.  She's shapely and always well supported with a good foundation. Her dress should have a good foundation especially since it's a halter.   I remembered Simplicity 3823 incorporated boning in the bodice.  It was the same style, and with some small modifications, it would be great.   Well after a few hours, a broken needles, and uncooperative machine, it was all done.   I think it turned out great.   She looks amazing wearing it!   Don&…

Mobile: Going Places

Hi! I'm squeezing in posts between feedings and naps. School is about to start and I'm about to go back to work so 1 post a week will be all I can share. I'm going share one of the first projects I did for Baby Z's room - a mobile. While searching for nursery ideas, I found the inspiration picture below.  I loved the colors and simplicity.  The mobile really caught my eye and pinned it.  When I decided on a theme, I added a personal touch tot he mobile.  I think it is really cute.


Here's what you need:
Card Stock2 Embroidery Hoops (I used 9" & 7".)ScissorsHot Glue Gun & SticksAcrylic PaintYarn (Fishing line can also be used.)Jump RingsNeedleComputer & Printer Here are the steps:
Paint the embroidery hoops with your paint acrylic paint.  Set them aside to dry. It may take multiple coats. Create a template for each shape you will use in the mobile.  I found coloring sheets online that matched the theme. I compiled them in PowerPoint. I also create…